Miz Mozelle dress


If I wasn't sure of it yet, this week I had the confirmation of how awesome and sweet the ladies at the Sew Weekly are.
This week's theme was UFOs, which was the perfect occasion for me to finish a dress I had started in November. I had actually finished my version of the Miz Mozelle dress pattern, but the hem needed to be shortened and I was so underwhelmed by it that I never came around to do it.


If the fact that I didn't like my creation all that much wasn't enough, I had a VERY hard time taking pictures. The weather here has taken a cold turn and I had to step out for pictures with -10° C, which resulted in some terrible faces (and horrible hair, since I didn't style it properly).
All of this resulted in a very disappointing post and yet, all the comments I received were so heartwarming! I am really speechless at all the kind words I read!
Thank you so much, everyone! For those of you who want to know more about the dress, you can read it here (although I must admit I didn't do a great job at documenting the construction, I forgot most of it since November...).

The Violin Recital dress


This week's theme at the Sew Weekly is "Made this Look", that is recreating a RTW dress finding suitable pattern and fabric, just like Mena does in her brilliant "Make this Look" posts.
My inspiration was the Violin Recital dress from Modcloth and to recreate it I used pattern #128 from Burdastyle Magazine 05/2011.


I'm still on the fence about this dress. While I love the peter pan collar and the lace, it might be a bit too much for me and (especially) for where I live. It's very frou frou and the white is so in your face that I'm thinking of tea staining it.


If you want for more details, you can read my post here.

Peter Pan experiment


Didn't I tell you that I had made another blouse from the La Mia Boutique pattern? Well, here it is!
This blouse was purely an experiment, since I wasn't sure if the collar would work once shifted. That's why I only used remnants from previous projects (this and this) to sew it.
I'm quite satisfied with the result, but it won't become one of my most worn blouses. First of all, the materials are stiffer than the viscose I used for the Apple of My Eye blouse, which means that the bodice is significantly tighter and the collar revealed itself to be what I had already suspected: a flounce, more than an actual collar. I really wasn't going for a ruffly effect, so I handstitched the collar to the shoulder seams, this way most of the "ruffliness" is in the back and I can hide it wearing a cardigan over it.

As I said, it's not the best blouse in the world, but it was great practice for sewing a bound collar and a placket (is anyone interested in a tutorial for the latter?).
All in all, it increased my love for Peter Pan collars even more (like that's possible) and since it kind of reminds me of Megan Nielsen's Banksia top, it made me want to try that pattern even more.


In other news, did you notice the new "Sewing Studio" and "Lovely Guests" tabs under the blog banner? They took some work, but I'm so satisfied with the result. I hope they make the blog navigation easier!

The Apple of My Eye


I think I fell in love with a pattern. It hasn't happened since I made my first Macaron dress, and now I'm head over heels.

Do you want to know why? Let's see: this blouse has a peter pan collar (AND it's asymmetrical), it has a button placket that it's easy to sew and it's really cute, it has no closures, the fit is great (thank you, double-pointed darts in the back) and it's extremely versatile.
The pattern is from "La mia boutique" and the only modification I made was to shorten the sleeves and put elastic at their bottom (instead of another plaquet). 

For my first go at it, I chose this super cute viscose (if I'm not wrong, it's the same thing as rayon... please let me know) with fuchsia apples printed on it. At first I was afraid it would look too much like a pajama top (that's also why I shortened the sleeves), but as soon as I've tried it with some of my clothes, we became best friends.
Another great thing: it was extremely fast to sew! I tried out some new techiniques for me (the button plaquet, the bias bound neckline and double-pointed darts) and they turned out great. I was so impressed with the finished blouse that I immediately made another one, with some modifications (coming soon).

Although I made some mistakes (the collar is covering the placket, the neckline binding is not perfect), I adore my new little creature.
And now I feel so good! First, the Stretchy Jenny (thanks for your lovely comments! as some of you pointed out, I'm actually getting so much wear out of it already), now this adorable blouse... I hope I can keep my sewing mood on this track!